Friday, March 7, 2014

Color, Color and more Color





As a youngster I always had something in my hand to draw with or to color. Decades ago I used to paint with oils and loved blending the colors and painting on canvas.  Quilting is similar with choosing and experimenting with the colors. It's just another medium. Once I discovered quilting I never looked back. My SIL called it a hobby but I told him no, it was in my soul and something I had to do. He understood completely.

If I like the fabric, I'll buy it. Later if it doesn't go with my project, it will be added to the "collection." Believe me it will be used.

Years ago I used to buy fat quarters, then 1/2 yard. Well, 1/2 yard doesn't really go that far. Now if I really like the fabric, three yards will usually be enough. What's left from a project can be used in a scrappy quilt. They're fun.

Now let me tell you that I don't consider myself an expert, just another quilter learning quilt by quilt. The more the merrier I would say.

This link has several helpful links so thought I'd share with you. Quilters love to share.
http://studio.me/24Blocks/2014/03/7-tips-on-how-to-choose-quilt-fabric.html

How do y'all choose your fabric? It would be fun to hear from you.


Let's Quiltify (my made up word) the world.
Carpe Quiltiem (another made up word) Y'all.
Woodie

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Woodie ! Thank you for for the tips on how to choose quilt fabric from studio.me/24blocks !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's "sew" much good info on most sites. Went to the new quilt shop in Gig Harbor. Beautiful fabric. Love you sweetie.

      Delete
  2. Most of my fabric stash comes from the "if I love it I buy it" method. That pretty much covers it. The rest is "searching for something that I'm missing and I need right now".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. If I love it, I'll but it. One time my sister (who was visiting from Michigan) and I loved a fabric and didn't buy it. We went home and that's all we could talk about. We went back the next morning and bought it. Silly girls won't make that mistake again.

      Delete