Ha, ha, ha, I hear you laughing. How can someone get sew excited about an ironing board? If you iron wide 108" quilt backing or 42" fabric you will understand why I made this board to fit on top of the ironing board.
It is not an original idea of mind but it could have been. A group of us were quilting at our church and my friend Susan brought her large board over. There's no going back after you've ironed/pressed on a super sized board. Just thought about the super sized and it won't add calories.
My board measures 20" wide and 60" long. (I'm 60" tall.) I was talking to my neighbor, Jerry about Russian white pine and he said he had some he would give me. It was actually large enough for two boards and I gave the other half to my friend, Andrea.
Jerry even cut the board for me because his saw was set up and Art's wasn't. It's also easier to carry two pieces of wood instead of the bigger piece. I then put aluminum foil over the top of the wood. Then added a layer of cotton batting and a layer of spongie foam and then the silver cover. I bought the cover and spongie foam at Sew Expo and I bought the largest size because I don't do wimpy stuff.
Notice on the bottom side that there are strips of wood. That's to keep the board from slipping off the ironing board. Believe me, it won't slip even without the strips. It's heavy but white pine is a lighter weight wood.
Yes, you'll see duct tape holding down the overlap part of the cover. I didn't want to put a lot of nails into the board. Had to make my hubby a happy man. He supervised my work and I even used some of his power tools. It was a beautiful, bonding project. He was a good teacher.
Carpe Diem or Let's Quiltiem.
.jpg)
And I'm still loving mine! Its a wonderful tool...and I wouldn't want to be without it!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. It's a tool I wouldn't want to be without.
ReplyDelete