Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Oh, Woe is the poor Quiltster and thoughts about the Table

Please tell me how to cut 95" of border strips on a 62" table? I was going to ask for help putting the extensions in on Saturday when the house was hopping with grand-darlings and adult kids. Totally slipped my mind. Since I have cataracts it seems to affect my thought pattern.

Sew, yesterday I took the table in my own hands, well add my foot and the extension of my body which is only 60" long. I got under the table with one foot on the leg of the table. This pic doesn't exactly show how it happened because I was bent over stretched from one end to another but it gives you a visual. Actually perhaps that isn't a good idea. No way to take a picture in the position I was in.

Then I reached to the leg on the opposite end and PUSHED. It opened but only a quarter inch. Hey!!! A good quarter inch is what we aim for in quilting. Right? You can't get a 15" extension in a quarter inch. Sew, as my good husband, Arty Arts taught me, there's a tool for everything.

Give that screwdriver a little twist and I was able to put my fingers in the opening and push, push, PUSH, I did. 
It opened enough to add the 15" extension. I was so excited that I pushed it closed. No easy task because I had to go back and forth from end to end. Finally, time to cut. NOPE, couldn't move the table into place because the rug was all bunched up. OK, I fixed it and LOOK.

Perhaps I should go next door and ask the neighbor for his assistance in putting the second extension in. NO, not yet. Always been one to "do it myself".

This table has served 40,000 meals (just counting 2 meals a day) and has had people and exchange students from all over the world eat meals here.Tears have been shed over this table and much, much laughter. We've played thousands of board games, crafts, cake decorating, scrapbooking, flower arrangements for church, weddings and baby showers and shut-ins. 

We've had Bible studies here, debates on every topic, and have paid bills. No idea how much homework by the kids was done sitting here. This has been more that a place to eat. It has been a gathering place of family, friends and sometimes strangers.

We've even wrapped hams, bacon after having them cured/smoked. Yes, we have had four oink oinkers over the years on Vashon Island.Yes, we named them. No, we didn't have any trouble eating them. Same for the rabbits. Oh, good grief, this is getting way to long.

Many prayers have been said and God has truly blessed us all. Now isn't this funny? I start writing about quilting and end up remembering the wonderful times we've had around this old table.

I am truly a blessed woman. God bless y'all. It's your turn to remember the wonderful moments around your table.

Woodie
Carpe Quiltiem!






1 comment:

  1. Love it, Mom. And just for the record, lots of grandkids have secretly fed Rover under that table. Woof!

    ReplyDelete