Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Oh my! Am I ready to jump back in?

I had no idea that I'd be writing y'all today. First, let me say thank you to all that have been such an encouragement to me over the past 3-1/2 years. It's no easy thing having a spouse of 40 years pass away. Y'know, you never get over a loved one dying but you do get through it. Life is so different now; I'm not part of a couple anymore, activities are different, trips are not shared with him, etc., etc.

BUT, don't you just love buts? I quilted non-stop for about 1-1/2 years after Art and decided I'm not a hermit, never have been. So, I upgraded my camera to a DSLR and have a bag of clothes packed and am ready to roll on a phone call. No make-up required, quite liberating if you ask me. My daughter takes me on three day photo shoots and life is good. I love shooting sunsets and live within walking distance of Puget Sound. Mickey Dog is my companion and sometimes photo-bombs a shot. We're out almost every evening and it was a little windy. You can tell by Mick's ears. Mine are covered.



My parents gave me my first camera when I was about 10, then my sweet aunt and uncle gave me a Kodak 35mm camera for my 21's birthday and I won't tell you how long ago that was. After I put my son on a plane to fly to Indiana to attend Purdue U,  I stopped by the nearest camera shop and bought a Pentax 1000 with TWO lens. I was living high and mighty. We were living on an island surrounded by water (as most islands are, ha) and no bridges. I was in heaven. We had sunsets over the Olympic mountains, eagles flying and seeing whales swim by our home. Oh, don't forget beautiful Mt. Rainier. Do you see where we're going here? I've been shooting well over 60 years and have always had some sort of camera on me or in a bag. I've slept on top of mountains, beaches, lakes, in cars, trucks and wherever the "bug" takes me.

Photography was my first passion but not the only one. I loved playing the piano but only one year because my teacher used to stab my fingers when I made a mistake. Played the clarinet, in high school and college. Learned the guitar as an adult and always had to sing in school, church choirs, etc. My favorite song as a kid growing up in the Appalachian Mountains of WV was "Don't fence Me In." Still is folks and also "How Great Thou Art."

 A little lady in our Church in California made hundreds of quilts for orphans, etc. The year was 1975 and I started my first quilt. She told me, "honey just cut some squares and sew them together." I did just that. Quite pathetic. Of course I still have it.

Several (ok, lots) of my friends are quilters and some of us met and shared and how fun to hear the oohs and aaws. I cut some binding for a quilt, and we ate, laughed and played (quilting is playing, y'know). I'm so ready to jump back in and smell the fabric once again. I only have to go into my "Quilty Haven."

I would be thrilled if you'd share your latest creation. Who knows? It may be an inspiration to someone.

Carpe Quiltiem y'all,
Woodie


No comments:

Post a Comment