http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/27517/sewer-vs-sewist
Spell check uses the word "sexist" to replace the word sewist. Go figure. Really, do I want spell check fighting me tooth and nail on the words I use?
I am neither a sewer or sewist. I sew but not really well.
I don't hem pants or mend. I cringe when asked by someone holding an item in
their hands if I would _______(fill in the blanks). I'll do my best to help but a cold sweat could break out at any minute. (Please friends, keep on loving me.) I've actually sewn costumes for musicals, plays, PE shorts, etc. for my kiddos. That was years ago and this is now.
Everyone who knows me knows
that I quilt. I love everything about quilting. That doesn't make me a
"sewer" or “sewist” or even a "quiltist".
It seems as if we need more modern words to describe who we
are and what we do. Now, I'm not against words but I have enough trouble
remembering the ones I used to know.
Many years ago when my grandma quilted was she considered a
"modern" quilter? Did they use the word "contemporary" as
some "modern" quilter's do today? I don't think so. We can look way
back and laugh at the 60's, 70's, 80's and even the 90's. I lived through those
decades (and a few before them) and never once did I think I was old fashioned or not modern. In 20
years who will be laughing at us?
Some of my friends are much more talented than I am and do
beautiful work. Some do landscape, applique and art quilts. Some use patterns
and some do not. Please, it is not my intent to criticize or be negative about anyone's work. I absolutely get giddy
when I see the lovely work they do. I've done a few but don't consider them
"art" quilts.
Why are they called "art" quilts? Aren't all quilts
"art" quilts and beautiful? You see, I quilt, and therefore, I am a
Quilter, Quiltist or whatever. I do know that quilting is not my hobby. It’s my
passion!
Geesh, the more I think about this, the more confusing I
get.
When my granddaughter Holly was three she said, “Questions,
Questions, Life is Full of Questions”. Her Amma has a few questions herself.
Should I delete or post?
Let’s keep Quiltifying and Carpe Quiltiem y’all.
No comments:
Post a Comment