Friday, July 5, 2013

If ever you've lived on an Island

Saturday, June 29, I went "home" to Vashon Island for the day. My dear friend, Judy and I met in California and she and her family moved to Vashon. Art and I and the kiddos visited the Island in 1975, bought a house in 1976 and never looked back. Well, kids do grow up and with Art's poor health we moved off "the Rock" after 23 years.

Judy and I spent the day together and the Vashon Quilt guild had an amazing quilt show in two locations. Yes, it was huge, the quilts were beautiful and I knew so many of the quilters. I got lots of hugs. It was like old home week crammed into one afternoon. I used to love to walk the streets of the village and meet and greet people.

There is so much I could write but not now.

We lived there 23 years and had a beautiful waterfront, west side passage view of the Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. Can it get any better?

Growing up I lived by Tug River in WV. I have lived by the Atlantic Ocean in NC, the Gulf of Mexico in Florida. In California we lived near the Pacific Ocean and of course, on Vashon Island. Now we're a matter of blocks from Puget Sound.


Would I feel this way if there wasn't a quilt guild and a wonderful quilt shop on the Island?

Can one ever go back?

We have been so content in our home here. We have a wonderful church and many friends and great neighbors. For now, this is my home. I'll just have to hop a ferry more often.

I've loved this poem for years. Hope you enjoy it.

If ever you’ve lived on an island
 if ever you’ve lived by the sea;
 You’ll never return to the mainland
 once your spirit has been set free.

If ever you’ve smelled the ocean
 or tasted the salt in the air;
 You’ll know you’ve discovered a haven
 that is uncommon, precious and rare.

If ever you’ve seen the whales play
 or watched the eagles in flight;
 You’ll remember, again, why you live here
 and why it feels so right.

If ever you’ve seen the sunset
 as the ferry passed the shore;
 You’ve seen the beauty of the island
 that will be with you forever more.

If ever you’ve heard the seagulls
 the waves, a foghorn, the winds;
 Then you’ve heard the song of the island
 and the peaceful message it sends.

Indeed, if you live on an island
 if you’re lucky to live be the sea;
 You’ll never return to the mainland
 as your spirit has been set free.


Carpe Quiltiem y'all.
Woodie

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you can go back!

    You forgot the line of the poem, If you've ever smelt (pun intended) Tacoma Aroma...
    ;)
    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some memories are better left unsmelt.

    Lovin' this weather and lovin' you also.

    ReplyDelete